Several undocumented Nigerians have reportedly gone into hiding, while others are returning home secretly over the intensified deportation campaign led by President Donald Trump’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Reports at the weekend said that many immigrants had stopped going to work as Trump reiterated his support for ICE actions.
The sweeping actions, which include house-to-house enforcement raids, have stirred panic, debate and protest, particularly following a series of high-profile deadly incidents involving the federal immigration officers.
The US president kick-started an immigration policy to arrest and remove illegal immigrants immediately after he was inaugurated into office in January 2025,
However, his policy has been met with criticisms by many people in the US and other countries over the cruelty which ICE meted out to immigrants
Reports quoting Nigerians resident in the US said some have abandoned places of work secretly returning to their home country.
ICE operations
At least 32 people died in ICE custody in 2025.
Last year is said to be the deadliest in over two decades for deaths in ICE detention.
The Guardian of UK reported that in 2026 alone, no fewer than eight people have died in interactions involving ICE.
The recent cases that have created anxieties were the murders of Renée Good and Alex Pretti.
There was outrage when 37-year-old Good was fatally shot by an ICE agent in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 7.
Reports further revealed it happened during an enforcement operation, and the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide from multiple gunshot wounds.
Similarly, 37-year-old Pretti was shot and killed by the US federal immigration agents in Minneapolis on January 24, 2026, during a federal enforcement action.