Gunfire erupts in Kwara community as security forces repel attackers

Tension, on Sunday evening, briefly gripped parts of Share community, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State following gun duel between suspected bandits and security operatives.

Reports said the armed men engaged security personnel, including the Nigerian Army, who were working in collaboration with forest guards and other local security outfits. The combined forces successfully repelled the attackers.

Local security sources confirmed that the gunfire exchange lasted about one hour and occurred around 8:30pm, very close to the headquarters of the Ifelodun Local Government Secretariat.

The coordinated response of the security operatives effectively thwarted the assailants’ attack.

Authorities said there are no confirmed cases of abduction or casualties resulting from the incident.

This comes just hours after suspected bandits attacked Kakafu community, a remote settlement in Patigi Local Government Area, where they reportedly kidnapped four persons.

The attackers kidnapped four residents, including one man, a woman, and her two female children, during the operation that occurred at about 1:30am on Sunday, a situation that threw the community into confusion.

According to information, the assailants, on arrival, opened sporadic gunshots into the air, thereby causing panic among residents, who scampered for safety.

However, a source (names withheld) hinted that the assailants operated unchecked without resistance before they eventually whisked their victims to an unknown destination.

“They did not kill anyone. They only abducted the four victims and fired indiscriminately to create fear and confusion among the villagers,” the source said.

A forest guard, on the grounds of anonymity, said residents were traumatised and fearful of another attack.

“People are still in shock. Panic has gripped the community because the assailants are believed to be hiding in nearby villages,” he said.

Kwara has been experiencing a series of attacks by gunmen who wreak havoc, kill people at will, and kidnap others for ransom.

On February 3, gunmen suspected to be terrorists killed 170 people in an overnight attack on two villages in the Kaiama area of the state.

The violence increased fears among residents that terrorists are pushing south along the Niger-Kwara axis toward the Kainji forest, which security analysts warn could become their next stronghold.

Nigeria came under scrutiny after US President Donald Trump accused it last year of failing to protect Christians amid attacks and mass kidnappings.

US forces struck what they described as terrorist targets on December 25.

But the President Bola Tinubu-led administration says it is working with Washington to improve security and denies any systematic persecution of Christians.

Tinubu said the new military unit would stem further attacks and protect remote communities.

  • Media Report

#Eyewitness #Crime #Security #Said #Community #Local #That #They #Kwara #Assailants

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *